Friday, October 14, 2005

Endless Agony- The Periles of Work Travel

I love to hear excited young executives tell me how they want to travel more and can't wait to take business trips. I was once one of these bright-eyed travel bound twentysomethings. But after years of endless agony, schelping, missed connections, delays, bad hotels and long days, I have a new position on business travel. It's called "Only If you haven't done it enough." People who say they want to travel for work simply just haven't done it enough. I write this as I sit on the damp, cold floor of the Seattle airport. Another delay. Rain, fog...it doesn't really matter. What matters is that I'm stuck and I'm tired. Oh, and there is zero eye candy to pass the time. I'm over-caffeinated, over-worked and just plain OVER this.

On the bright side, I did score some fabulous Indie finds, heard some good music and met some fabulous filmmakers in the 32 hour stint in the blustery Northwest.

While work travel can take you to exotic cities, expensive restaurants and amazing parties, in the end, you sometimes can only remember the endless agony of it all.

Here's a quick checklist to make it all slightly more bearable:

1. The newest issue of InStyle
2. Travel pillow and eye mask (my I suggest the "wake me when it's over" line on uncommongoods.com)
3. Sex & The City DVD's
4. Starbucks
5. US Weekly
6. iPOD
7. Hoodie
and pills....

No comments: