Monday, November 20, 2006

Dessert...


I'm a HUGE dessert person! I live for chocolate...in any form. I crave cake at all times. This is a recent development though...until about 5 months ago, I mostly craved chocolate products, but lately it's been stuff like, vanilla cake with vanilla frosting with tiny colored chips in it. (you know the kind I'm talking about right? The stuff in the can that we used to eat on cupcakes!) Anyway, so I'm now trying to think up creative dessert options for Thanksgiving, that's not apple pie, pumpkin pie or any of the "standard," but still fabulous options. Rather, I'd like some kind of cake! Some kind of fluffy, moist and sweet conction of everything good. I know you know what I'm talking about.

So far I found a ginger spice cake...not sure if it's gonna cut it. My future mother-in-law and sister-in-law are super bakers. Mom's a seasoned pro with a serious reputation so I know I can't compare in the pie department. Sister is a dessert hobbiest. This is what she does for fun...so you know she's super creative and is not afraid to load on the butter...I'm so screwed:) And my fiance is a loyal follower of mom's baking. He's open to new things,but still never fails to mention how incredible mom's baking is. So here I am...I need a good recipe ASAP! I really want to wow them with my baking talent. This is kind of big. The whole family is going to be there!

Anyone have any ideas? Tonight I'm going to go through my cookbooks and my magazines...I seriously hope they have something for me:)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try the pear cheesecake recipe in this month's real simple magazine. You can even get preprepared cheesecake filling from the philly cream cheese folks in the dairy aisle.

Anonymous said...

You could always wow their tastebuds with a frangipane tart (almond paste) that is sooooooooooooooo yummy paired with the flakiest of tart crusts... top it off with pears or blueberries, figs, cranberries even, etc. Or how about a to-die for tira misu??

Anonymous said...

I'd opt for Paula Dean's Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake. Of course, I'm in St. Louis, home of the true Gooey Butter Cake, but have heard rave reviews of this one!!

Just a trumpet player said...

Always a winner in my home ? A Fruit salad cake with some brown sugar fudge as topping... Simply decadent ! And has fruit in it... so can't be that bad for your health, right ??

GrewUpRural said...

I used to make a two layer french vanilla cake with cream chees frosting. In between the layers, I would put seedless strawberry jam and slices of strawberries. Then I would decorate the top with strawberries and blueberries. Just something small in the middle.

You could skip the blueberries and add shave chocolate to the top. This cake was always a hit for any holiday dinner.

Anonymous said...

test out that high-end ice cream maker your fabulous boyfriend bought you for your birthday! make some ice cream!

- said...

Hi Snob in the City,
I found you from http://newyorkmomentsblog.blogspot.com/ and I noticed we’re both friends with jolienyc.com. She and I met in college. I also LOVE your photo and the Blog itself – Do you want to link to each other?
-Noelle Ashley
http://www.internationaljetsetter.blogspot.com/

PS For some French desserts, check out the food photos from St. Barths on http://www.internationaljetsetter.blogspot.com/

NotCarrie said...

I don't know, but now I'm hungry.