Tuesday, June 27, 2006

What happens when...



YOUR HARD DRIVE FAILS!

There are many things in life that mess with our heads...Men, food, doctors, body image...whatever.... but when your lifeline, your computer dies, what do you do? who do you call? It's not like you can just call you dentist and have your cavity filled or your doctor to get a prescription...this is SERIOUS! Your baby, your everything that holds everything, pictures, music, emails, letters, business documents, taxes...ALL GONE! All you passwords and cookies have to be reset, your settings and your order of documents...Seriously, besides a death or major illness, the loss of a hard drive is the worst thing in the world.

On Sunday night, my baby started flipping out...applications shutting down, wierd noises...you name it...Then it happened. The apple came up and the pinwheel started turning and nothing...silence, no movement. I started calmly restarting it and holding down the good old keys that always worked up until that moment...NOTHING. So I shut down and put it away.

The next morning I called Tekserve even before it opened by like 4 minutes and then proceeded to call every minute till someone finally answered only to get someone to tell me that i should just come in. So I went. I waited by the fishtank with all the other parents of sick laptops and computers... It was very sad. I was in a total zone...I was soaking wet, because I had walked there from my apt, not realizing it was raining because of this zone...So there I was dripping holding my baby... Finally they called my #...60. And a very nice girl proceeded to diagnose my computer. She told me the hard drive had failed. She showed me where exactly and told me it would cost $290 for a new hard drive and then $900 for data recovery. I started to tear up... my zone started to shake off and the tears came...I pulled it together enough to tell her that I had backed up most of my stuff so I wouldn't be needing the $900 service, but that the hard drive was a must.

I left defeated and sad and empty handed.

Yesterday was a bad day...bad things happen in 3's and it did to me too. I messed up a stock order, I pulled money from the wrong account, my computer died...bad day.

Luckily I have an amazing boyfriend who brought me sunflowers and cheered me up. I cooked dinner and we just relaxed together...Not gonna lie...a little sex on days like this is a wonderful thing:)

Today is a brighter day. I picked up my computer and it's feeling better and working...Tomorrow the tech guy, Ben (love ben), comes to load back on what I have saved and then the journey begins again...till it happens once more...and well, it will, but this time I will be prepared for the shock of it all.

3 comments:

NotCarrie said...

Weird bc MY computer died Sunday, too! I blame the storms but I have yet to hear if it's a hardware or software problem. I'm kind of hoping for hardware bc that's covered. Ugh, I have most of my pictures backed up and all of my music on an external harddrive but there's a lot of other stuff I'll be losing, I can't believe it!

K said...

Having a computer malfunction is the worst. I feel so detached without it, actually kinda sad.
So glad yours is up and running again!

NotCarrie said...

I got my computer back, phew! Hopefully we'll both have good computer luck now.