Monday, October 23, 2006

Fried Chicken, fried Shrimp, fried catfish, French fries...

And I could go on...and on...and on... I was in the south this weekend. When I say "the south," I am specifically talking about New Orleans, LA and Gulf Port, MS. I'd say this was a good "heart of the south" weekend.

I'm the true definition of a notherner. I really don't like fried foods, not because it doesn't taste good, but my poor stomach suffers to such an extreme level when I consume any of the above listed items, that it's just not worth it. I talk fast. "Yeuewwww Taaaalk Vieerrry faaast," as one lovely southern woman from Mississippi pointed out to me as I tried to expidite my spa tab. Yes, yes I do. I like to say what I have to say and then move on with my life...but thanks for pointing that out. I wear my hair not poofed. I do not create volume when it is not needed. I don't wear white ked sneakers. I lOVE sushi, steamed foods, tofu, Thai food and Indian food. I do NOT wear tight rolled jeans and "I love Disney world" t-shirts. Seriously, some of ths shit we saw...there are no words.

It's a different world down there,but one thing remains true...the people are as nice as can be!

Even the waitress at Waffle House was chipper and nice. Let me describe Waffle House...Imagine a McDonalds with no golden arches and waitress service. Then change all the food to waffles, sausage, eggs and other bad for you fried stuff. Then imagine the tab being something like $10 for two...and you have Waffle House. In Mississippi there's one every two miles.

We had a very interesting weekend down south. New Orleans is a great city...full of great antiques, lot's of alcohol and pretty buildings. But it's very sad to be there. I can't say I felt the same energy as I felt pre-Katrina. People are sad and talk constantly about how their lives were ruined and you can't help but feel so bad for them. They are 100% justified in how they feel. Here we are more than a year later and I'd say over 60% of the homes we saw, had people living in trailers on the front lawn! It's not pretty anymore and is lacking that incredible spark that used to light up that city.

Gulf Port...wow...there's nothing left. driving along the coast all you see are empty shells of hotels and beach resorts, beach bars and of course...waffle houses. And when I say nothing...I mean Nothing!

I started to feel numb to what I saw. You see so much devastation and after a while, those FEMA trailers start to look welcoming. I arrived back in New Orleans after a few days in Gulf Port and was like, "oh wow, it's so much better here." BUT IT'S NOT! it's just THAT bad there. I could go on and on...

ANyway, to sum it up. The South: food sucks, people are funny, they are left with nothing, but through it all they are still incredibly nice and welcoming.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Although Ohio isn't exactly considered the North (I guess we're in the Midwest?), I consider myself a northerner, as well. I love all that comes with the northeast, and cannot stomach any fried foods either! Ick. Anyway...I've actually never been to New Orleans or Gulfport, but nontheless it breaks my heart that things are still as torn up as they are. So sad that a natural disaster can cause so much devastation.

Unknown said...

the south isn't all about fried foods! we have other foods as well! come to georgia next time, savannah/sea island way. food isn't always fried!

The Team said...

Style girl, you're right...there is more to the south than fried food. I ate some great duck in New Orleans, but it still wasn't as good as food here. But! I'm open to new foods and look forward to having a good southern meal one day:)